Saturday, July 12, 2008

Race from Responsibility part Deux

Good summers eve my dear family, friends, and those whom may find this of interest,

Some of you already know but for those of you whom do not I have again booked passage to the open road. Call it insanity. Call it therapy. I'll let you decide, and most will likely have your own minds made up on which, but I have decided to check out for the rest of the summer to take another shot at riding the two-wheeled nag across a pretty decent sized chunk of the lower 48. There are many reasons to account for why I've decided to enact the sequel to the Race from Responsibility, too many to list, but ultimately it comes down to the best kind of therapy I can think of and perhaps one last chance for an adventure of this magnitude. As we speak I'm sitting here in Pensacola, Florida on the eve of setting out west towards the setting sun with hopes to make it back to Boise by the strike of midnight on August 31st (and with any luck a little sooner ;-)). Yes attempting this little boondoggle of a bike trip probably couldn't come at a worse time with the apex of summer upon us but sometimes you simply take what little windows of time are given and make the most of them. So with mind-numbing heat and horrific humidity accounted for, and prepared for to my best known ability, it's time to turn the crank and soak in all there is to see at 15 mph.

My good friend Danny Christiansen, or better known for the next two months as Houston, will be my eyes in the sky at mission control receiving stats, pics, and other memorabilia from Wounded Duck as I travel through the southeast, midwest, and with a little luck, reentry into the great Gem State- Idaho. He has put together a website to track the progress of Wounded Duck across the hills and plains and for any whom might be interested in the mission status can find it here.

As the hour here is nearing the 11:30 mark I'll sign off for now, but want to thank my dear friends Ron "the big kid" Brooks, Adrienne Emerson, Buck Emerson, and pretty much the rest of the Emerson clan, Chateau Hustlers, and the rest of the Pensacola brood for all their hospitality while I've been staging down here at substation Dixie. You are all the epitome of southern hospitality. And lastly want to thank my dear parents, family, and friends for understanding the desire that lies within me to do what is necessary to quench this thirst. I'll get you a new worry stone when I get back mom for I'm sure you'll be needing a replacement.

Take care all and I'll see you on the other side-

Bri

No comments: