Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 37: Steamboat Springs, CO

Mission Control, this is houston, over, trasmitting for the first time. Today the duck and I deviated from the prescribed route, heading northwest to the resort town of Steamboat Springs. The morning fog lifted as we pedaled out of Kremmling, revealing the beautiful Colorado landscape. Our sortie involved summiting three passes, Muddy Pass, Rabbit Ears Pass, and West Summit, before descending down to Steamboat.

standby for today's hard count:
mileage: 52
time in the saddle: 4:01
highest elevation: 9400 ft
max speed on the descent to Steamboat: 46.5 mph (by wounded duck)
average grade on the descent: 7%
number of roasted whole chickens consumed at dinner: 2

Before I sign out, just a quick thanks to those who helped with operation dumbo drop... Bryna for the ride to the airport, Austin and the Andreasen family for the ride up to Frisco, and Virgil for hosting us at his house. Your generosity is much appreciated! Although I've been feeling less than 100% due to sleep and oxygen deprivation, I think I may have turned the corner this afternoon and am now getting my riding legs back.

No comments: