Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 30: Ordway, CO

houston, this is wounded duck over. It turns out to be a push. yesterday's kind breath of wind from my six was trumped by the same from my twelve today. Regardless, aside from the services being not easy to come by, or shade for that matter, the day again has ended with the duck safely in the pond in Ordway, Colorado just outside of Pueblo. I got a call from a member of the Philly squad about this gal, Gillian, who puts up weary bikers here at her house in Ordway. Well, as it turns out, it's a spectacular little piece of heaven out here at the end of 9th street where a cool shower and a warm bed met a bedraggled soul this afternoon. Gillian is also a bit of a traveler, who has unfortunately had a bit of bad luck this year. A wildland fire swept away her house and many of her outbuildings this spring, burning everything she had "except the clothes that she was wearing". A tragic story, but as I look outside the doorway where a cool breeze currently is whipping at my face, she is tending to her flock and working to bring things back. From here I can see horses, geese, a dog who apparently refuses to leave her side, and perhaps a myriad of other creatures that are currently out of sight. As it turns out, this hospitality is all by word of mouth, to the philly squad... I tip my hat to ya fellas. Well, it's about time to start up supper, might even kick back a cocktail with the hostess tonight as she, like me, has been blessed with the gift for gab and who am I to let someone drink alone especially considering she's been ever so kind to open her doors to the likes of us grungy two-wheeler types.

Today's hard count:
Miles: 64
hours in the saddle: 4:45
structures of any kind between Eads and Sugar City that was 57 miles down the road: 4
(0 habitable)

Good day. wounded duck is looking forward to a good meal, some good jab, and entering Pueblo where I'll be rollin in and taking a day off to cool the heals before the big boys that I can just make out in along the vista. Houston, Wounded Duck out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you found a haven to rest ye weary soul. Good thing you did not try the whole trip on Sunday, huh! Hope you enjoyed your hostes' hospitality. Love, Mom